For Online E-newspaper
Nairobi News : December 11th 2013
12 Wednesday, Dec 11 - Thursday, Dec 12, 2013 nairobinews.co.ke County’s bulging population yields 10 more constituencies F rom seven constituencies at the Independence elections in 1963, Nairobi’s electoral areas have risen to 17. In 1963, there was Nairobi North East ( Mathare area), Nairobi North West (today’s Westlands area), Nairobi West (Dagoretti area), Nairobi Doonholm( formerly Bahati Constituency - but now Makadara area), Nairobi Central (today’s Starehe Constituency), Nairobi East and Nairobi South. The 1969 elections saw several realignments done to create an extra constituency as the names of some also were changed. We then had Bahati (Mwai Kibaki), Starehe (Charles Rubia), Lang’ata (Ismail Yunis), Dagoretti (Njoroge Mungai), Parklands (Samuel Kivuitu) Mathare (Munyua Waiyaki), Kamukunji (Maina Wanjigi) and Embakasi (Martin Karungaru). The city retained eight constituencies until last year when an extra nine were created. Embakasi which made history in 2007 as having the most voters in the country at 249,000, was split into five constituencies. In those days, MPs would win with less than 3,000 votes. Such included Samuel Kivuitu’s 2,873 against S.N Mwathi’s 1,717 votes in Parklands, now Westlands. In the 60s, Embakasi still had the highest number of registered voters at more than 12,000 in 1969. Today, the units have been sliced into 17 but with huge populations. Lang’ata has since been split into Kibra and Lang’ata, Starehe into Mathare and Starehe, Kasarani into Roysambu, Kasarani and Ruaraka constituencies, Dagoretti into Dagoretti South and Dagoretti North and Embakasi into Embakasi South, Central, North, West and East. Only former Prime Minister Raila Odinga has served more than three consecutive terms. He served for four terms since 1992 to 2007. Billy Muiruri, NN New constituencies 8 17 16 1 3 2 5 4 9 14 13 11 15 12 7 Constituencies 1. Westlands 2. Dagoreti North 3. Dagoreti South 4. Langata 5. Kibra 6. Roysambu 7. Kasarani 8. Ruaraka 9. Embakasi South 10. Embakasi North 11. Embakasi Central 12. Embakasi East 13. Embakasi West 14. Makadara 15. Kamukunji 16. Starehe 17. Mathare Cameo Cinema It was quite convenient to have a good lunch at the Torr Hotel, then walk into Theatre Royal for a movie. Built in 1912 as Theatre Royal, this building was one of the famous theatre houses in the 1960s. In the early 90s it changed names to Cameo Cinema and later changed into a congregational hall at the ground floor and as a Veranda bar and restaurant. Currently it has been turned into a casino. Kenya National Archives The Kenya National Archives that sits between Moi Avenue and Tom Mboya Street was initially built as the National Bank of India, with a commanding positioning at the heart of the city. The Old Nairobi Bus Station was opposite the current National Archives and later the Hilton Hotel was built on the land that housed the bus station, with the latter being moved to its present day address. 6 10 Nairobi @50 Jeevanjee Gardens The grounds were named after Mr A M Jeevanjee, a pioneer member of the municipal committee of Nairobi. Prior to its renaming, the ground was known as Victoria Gardens and the Duke and Duchess of Connaught unveiled a statue of Queen Victoria, which still stands at the gardens. The ground is currently under the management of the Nairobi County government. Building names and the interesting tales they tell Kipande House Kipande House used to be a railway depot, with a tower on its facade. The Africans working for the colonial masters in Nairobi used to come to this historic building to be registered and then get issued with identification cards. That is how it got its name. The architecture was unique and timeless, and the current tenants — KCB Kenyatta Avenue Branch, have maintained its architecture to date. Torr House The bright red brick building, that currently houses CFC Stanbic Bank. Then known as Torr House. It is claimed to have been Nairobi’s first brick building to be put up in 1910 by Ewart Scott Grogan, one of Kenya’s eccentric pioneers. It was later sold to Joe Torr, who named it the Torr Hotel. In 1956, he sold it to the Ottoman Bank, which was nationalised in 1972 and named Grindlays and acquired by Stanbic in 1992. Khoja Mosque The foundation stone of this building was laid onJanuary 14, 1920 by the then Acting Governor Sir Charles Bowring. This mosque was built through donations presented to the Aga Khan. Virjee Nanji was the architect behind its design and the stone contractor was Mohammed Butta. In 1922 Sir Edward Northey the then Governor officiated its opening ceremony. The sole owner and proprietor of that property was the Aga Khan.
December 9th 2013
December 13th 2013