For Online E-newspaper
Daily Nation : January 28th 2014
18 | THE COUNTIES DEVOLUTION | Proposal to reduce administration units opposed 47 regions to stay, say governors Reducing counties would be unconstitutional and would deny citizens their rights, warn bosses BY DENNIS LUBANGA @lubangadenno email@example.com AND GEORGE MUNENE @Rubinga2 firstname.lastname@example.org reduced by more than a half. Rift Valley and central Kenya county G leaders said cutting down the number of the regional units would be unconstitutional and vowed to oppose any such attempt. Bomet Governor Isaac Rutto, the chairman of the Council of Governors, and two of his colleagues said it would be unlawful to reduce counties from 47 to 14. The proposal is from Mwingi Central MP Joe Mutambu, who has come up with a formula to reduce the regional governments to 14 arguing that the current number was impoverishing the country. NAKURU Transfer of officer sparks tension BY NATION CORRESPONDENT The transfer of a senior police officer has raised tension among residents and leaders of Mau Narok. Some fear that Mr Richard Siele’s transfer from Mau Narok as commander was designed to cause a security lapse and mess up the management of the disputed Muthera Farm. Others have praised the decision. Yesterday, a manager at the farm and Njoro MP Joseph Kiuna differed over the transfer, with Mr Kiuna faulting the move. Pushed for transfer Mr Josephat Mpoe, who manages the 4,000-acre farm on behalf of the family of former Cabinet minister Mbiyu Koinange lauded the Inspector-General of Police, saying Mr Siele was interfering with the farm’s management and taking sides in the dispute. But Mr Kiuna said the transfer was a blow to a campaign for peaceful coexistence among communities in the area. He said the drive was spearheaded by Mr Siele. NAIROBI Fire chief and two staff suspended over city blaze BY NATION CORRESPONDENT Three Nairobi county workers have been suspended over negligence after a fire destroyed more than 10 houses. County secretary Lillian Ndegwa said the three are the head of the department, duty officer and another worker. “We have suspended them because we cannot sack them now. We will carry out investigations to determine if they failed in their duties,” said Ms Ndegwa. Ms Ndegwa, who was accompanied by the county executive for transport and infrastructure Evans Ondieki, said that the incident was regrettable. However, she admitted that the county has five old firefighting machines that keep on breaking down. Ms Ndegwa said that in the next six months, the county will receive seven new fire-fighting engines and other equipment from Belgium at a cost of Sh1.131 billion. A Mombasa court yesterday lifted a warrant of arrest it had issued against Nairobi politician Stanley Livondo (above). Senior principal magistrate Richard Odenyo issued the warrant on January 21 after he failed attend the hearing of a case in which he is charged with refusing to have his fingerprints taken in a motor vehicle theft case. His lawyers told the court that he had been admitted to hospital. overnors have dismissed as mischievous an MP’s proposal to have the number of counties “Devolution is here to stay and we all need to support and not to kill it.” Bomet Governor Isaac Rutto “I will fight hard to ensure not even an inch of my county is touched.” Kirinyaga Governor Joseph Ndathi Mr Rutto told a church service at ACK Kiburer in Uasin Gishu County on Sunday that Kenyans were embracing county governments and reducing them would deny citizens their fundamental rights. Time for service delivery “Kenyans warmly voted for devolu- tion and any move to cut down the number of counties will be against the Constitution,” he said. “Devolution is here to stay and we all need to support “Any leader who fights devolution is mischievous. There is enough money to support devolution.” Uasin Gishu Governor Jackson Mandago and not to kill it.” Echoing Mr Rutto’s sentiments, Uasin Gishu Governor Jackson Mandago advised leaders to support devolution instead of killing it. Mr Mandago said time for power scuffles were over and Kenyans expected service from their leaders. “Any leader who fights devolution is mischievous,” he said. “There is enough money to support devolution to take effect and so there should be no alarm.” Elgeyo Marakwet Governor Alex REACTION MP accused of being mischievous Tolgos advised the national government to disburse more funds to the regional governments. “As the Council of Governors, we shall not stop in requesting the national government for more funds. We want to make sure that devolution sees the light of the day in this country and any leader who tries to fight it is being used by enemies of development,” Mr Tolgos said. Separately, Kirinyaga Governor Joseph Ndathi accused a group of MPs of plotting to kill devolution. Strong resistance Mr Ndathi told the lawmakers that counties were here to stay and any attempts to reduce them would be met with “strong resistance.” Terming the Kitui Central MP’s pro- posal as retrogressive, he criticised and told him to stop interfering with the smooth running of the counties. Counties were constitutionally established, he stated, urging Mr Mutambu to read the supreme law. “I will fight hard to ensure not even an inch of my county is touched,” he said on Sunday at Kiandangae Anglican Church in Ndia constituency during a thanksgiving service for the Kenya National Union of Teachers local executive secretary, Mr Harrison Gichira. COURTS | Two charged with possession of Sh430,000 bhang SULEIMAN MBATIAH | NATION Mr David Muchiri (left) and Mr David Githinji in a Nakuru court where they were yesterday charged with drug possession. They were arrested at Biston in Njoro at the weekend allegedly with 215kg of bhang with a street value of Sh430,000. They denied the charge and were remanded for three days to allow police to complete investigations. The case will be mentioned on January 30. NAKURU Two deny selling copies of banned US movie Two people were yesterday charged with selling a banned American movie — Wolf of Wall Street. Mr Gilbert Kariuki and Mr Felix Kigen were accused before Nakuru senior principal magistrate Judicaster Nthuku of committing the offence on January 24. They denied the charges and were freed on a bond of Sh50,000 each and a surety in a similar amount. The hearing will be on March 12. ELGEYO MARAKWET Students protest at change in music time More than 500 students in Elgeyo-Marakwet yesterday held demonstrated in protest against change in entertainment time from night to day. The Tambach Boys students also accused the principal of ordering teachers to punch and slap them instead of using the cane. They walked for 10 kilometres to Iten for a meeting with education boss Yophes Magara. Deputy principal Willy Korio denied slapping claims. MOMBASA Warrant of arrest against Livondo lifted DAILY NATION Tuesday January 28, 2014 COUNTY BOSS TELLS OFF NTIMAMA AND CRITICS War of words between the two has divided region’s leadership. P.22 BRIEFLY EMBU County invests Sh20m in new youth sacco The Embu county government has started a youth sacco to help residents below 35 years start businesses. Already, it has invested Sh20 million in seed capital. The county director in charge of youth empowerment Mercy Mung’u said they are targeting to enrol over 5,000 youths from the five sub-counties in the sacco. Members will be required to save a minimum of at least Sh100 per member.
January 27th 2014
January 29th 2014