For Online E-newspaper
Daily Nation : January 29th 2014
DAILY NATION Wednesday January 29, 2014 Mercedes’s Hamilton unshaken after first day crash London Lewis Hamilton said he was feeling positive ahead of the new Formula One season despite having his first day of testing in Jerez ended early by a minor crash. The British driver hit a tyre barrier after his new Mercedes W05 came off the track at turn one, with the team blaming a front wing failure. “Any crash is going to have a bump, but I don’t have any (bruises) at the minute,” said the Brit. “I might do tomorrow, but I was able to walk away ok. “It all happened too quickly. The engineers have been asking a lot of questions about it. I just got to the end of the straight and when I braked the car was a little bit higher than usual and didn’t stop.” Newly modelled cars Hamilton was the first man out on the track on a extremely quiet opening day as most teams struggled to get their newly modelled cars up and running. The 2008 world champion was also fastest when he stopped running, well over a second quicker than Ferrari’s Kimi Raikkonen in second. And he is happy to have any faults ironed out now rather than when the action gets underway for real in Melbourne for the Australian Grand Prix on March 16. “For me it’s an incredibly positive start to be the first car out on track and to have completed the most laps by the time we finished,” added Hamilton. “Other teams have been going out for single-lap runs, starting a few hours after we had first hit the track, so to have started running through our test programme was very encouraging. “It’s unfortunate to end the day early when everyone has worked so hard and we had looked like easily completing the most mileage of anyone here today, but we’ll make that track time back and it’s better to have these things happen now than in Melbourne.” (AFP) MOTORSPORT | 40 drivers confirm participation in the opening race of the series KCB bankrolls new season to the tune of Sh43 million Sport 57 PHOTO | AFP Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton takes part in the Formula One pre-season test days at Jerez racetrack in Jerez, Spain, yesterday. Vettel, Red Bull launch bid for five-in-a-row London Reigning world champion Sebastian Vettel said he and his Red Bull team will be stepping into the unknown as they target a fifth consecutive world drivers’ and constructors’ title in 2014. A series of technical regu- lation changes have resulted in an overhaul of the car that Vettel rode to a record equalling nine straight race wins to end last season. The Austrian team unveiled their new RB10 model ahead of the season’s first collective test in Jerez, southern Spain, yesterday. And the German driver is unsure of what to expect in the upcoming season given the comprehensive overhaul of the rules. “The team is very mo- tivated, but I don’t think anyone is thinking of the results at the moment because we are just trying to get the car out and get on top of the rule changes. “It is way too early to PHOTO | FILE Carl Tundo powers forward his Mitsubishi Evo9 during the Kisumu leg of the KNRC series last year. The 2014 season begins this weekend. Malindi Rally, organised by Mombasa Motor Club, will open KNRC calendar this weekend BY ABDUL SIDI email@example.com under way this Saturday with the Mombasa Motor Club-event. KCB’s new sponsorship deal, worth T Sh43.5million, was disclosed yesterday at a function called to provide details of the forthcoming round of the KNRC in Malindi. The previous deal amounted to Sh39.2 million. The KCB funds will help each of the seven clubs to run one round of the KNRC, while the bulk of the money goes to the organisation of the Safari Rally which falls directly under the Kenya Motor Sports Federation. While presenting a cheque to officials of the KMSF yesterday, KCB Chief Financial Officer, Collins Otiwu, said the bank was happy to be associated with the sport celebrating the 12th edition since it first ventured into the series. “KCB is happy to be associated with several sports in Kenya he 2014 Kenya National Rally Championship series got a boost from KCB as the calendar gets of which, rallying is one of the major attractions. We take pride in being part of the team,” said Otiwu. Former national champion, Carl Tundo, who is also the chairman of the Kenya Rally Drivers Association, expressed his gratitude to KCB for the support it has provided over those many years. “I salute KCB and all other sponsors like ALS, ICEA Lions and Iway for making rallying a great sport not only for the drivers, but the massive interest from fans around the continent. KCB has made a big difference,’’ said Tundo while talking to Daily Nation Sport from Nakuru yesterday. Meanwhile, nearly 40 crews have entered the opening round of the 2014 KNRC se- ries to be centered on Malindi. Baldev Chager, the newly crowned Motor Sportsman of the year, is among the drivers who are expected to battle it out for glory in the rally expected to be run under hot conditions. Tundo, who is waiting for clearance to bring in a new Proton rally car from Malaysia, will tackle the event in his previous championship winning car, a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo9 while the delivery of the new car is being processed. Cavenagh missing Interestingly, former champion, Alastair Cavenagh is missing from the list of entrants for the first round. According to a source, who did not want I salute KCB and all other sponsors for making rallying a great sport not only for the drivers, but for fans around the continent. KCB has made a big difference’’ Carl Tundo, chairman of the Kenya Rally Drivers Association to be named, the former champion is not happy with some of the things related to the events here and may soon divert his rallying interest to South Africa after considering options that were more favorable to his style of rallying. Interestingly, Cavenagh’s name does not even appear in the list of those who have already been allocated door numbers for the 2014 season. He was not available for his comment. The KCB event will start and finish in Malindi on Saturday from 6.30am. A total of six competitive stages will be repeated. The longest stage will be 25 kilometres while the shortest will be two kilometres. judge potential outcome. After three or four races we will be in a better position to judge where we are. Right now to have any sorts of expectations is impossible.” With fuel efficiency having been one of the key elements prioritised by the change in regulations, race strategy is likely to play an even greater role once the season gets up and running in Australia on March 16. However, Vettel is unsure if not being able to go flat out for the full race will benefit his driving style. “In previous years we have come to Jerez to launch the car, but it was the same toys under the cover and there was just one or two adjustments. This year there is a lot of new things. “At the moment it is all guessing. We haven’t tested the car in all sorts of situations. “There are a lot of things that will potentially change, but we don’t know how big that change will be yet. Whether those changes benefit myself or others I don’t know. “If you drive the same way as last year you won’t see the chequered flag.” A lot of enthusiasm Vettel also has a new teammate this year as Australian Daniel Ricciardo replaces compatriot Mark Webber, who retired at the end of last season. The 24-year-old Ricciardo has moved from sister team Toro Rosso after two seasons in Formula One and is hoping to both learn and compete with Vettel as the season progresses. “I approach it with a lot of enthusiasm and excitement. It is a huge opportunity and privilege to work alongside a four-time world champion in Sebastian. “That I am really looking forward to. I will take each race as it comes, but I would love to be as competitive as soon as possible.” The complexity of dealing with the rules changes were well on show yesterday as the new RB10 failed to make it out of the garage due to a slight technical setback. Having swept the board with the competition last year, chief technical officer Adrian Newey admitted he would have been happy to seen a lees hectic off season and insisted there was no clear favourite to take both world titles this season. PHOTO | AFP German drivers Sebastian Vettel (left) and Daniel Ricciardo pose during the unveiling of the Infiniti-Redbull Racing RB10 racing car at Jerez racetrack in Jerez, Spain, yesterday.
January 28th 2014
January 30th 2014