For Online E-newspaper
Daily Nation : February 3rd 2014
DAILY NATION Monday February 3, 2014 of thousands of starving residents MORE INFORMATION Paradox of massive oil deposits amid biting hunger The announcement of another discovery of new huge oil deposits at Amosing-1 and Ewoi -1 exploration wells in Block 10BB in Turkana South may have heightened expectation for higher proceeds for shareholders of Tullow Oil Company but no so for the residents neighbouring the oil wells. Located just some few kilometres from the hungerstricken Nakolokoi Lemkais village, the huge oil rig which stands out prominently is one thing that the local residents do not want to talk much about. In fact, according to them, it is the reason why relief rations have stopped because the economic status of the area had improved with the discovery of oil. Mr Peter Ng’atur, a resident at Kalapata village in Turkana South Sub County told nation, “We were informed that since oil was discovered in the area, we don’t deserve relief aid.” distributing food at Chokichok in Turkana Central, said that the government devolved Sh78 million without specifying what it was meant for. Mr Konchella made the re- marks a day after the county government released a report announcing that Sh2.4 billion was needed to address the hunger. FOOD CRISIS National News 11 Three villagers starve to death BY NATION CORRESPONDENTS Three elderly people have died of hunger in Tiaty Sub-County as drought continues to ravage Baringo County. County representa- tive for Ribkwo/Kositei ward Daniel Tuwit said the three are said to have gone for days without food. He gave their names as Rithe Ketiboo, 54, Long’uradome Tebakwen, 60, and Tura Anatamoi, 58. “The situation is so JARED NYATAYA | NATION Residents of Chokichok in Turkana Central, wait for food rations distributed by Devolution Permanent Secretary Gideon Konchellah last week Wednesday. The start of relief distribution by the national government appears to have stolen the thunder from the county Government especially soon after announcing major plans to address the situation albeit with request for massive funding. May be that explains why the Governor and his team snubbed the function at Chokichok, about 30 kilometres away from Lodwar town. The assistant commissioner for Turkana South sub-county, Mr Mohammed Abdulahi, said disaster management was devolved and therefore the responsibility of mitigating hunger rested largely in the hands of the county government. “What we know is that funds were released but the problem is that it was not itemized to indicate how much of the same was to be used for disaster management and for this case hunger . “The Constitution is very clear and we would have expected the county government to come up with a budget and present it to the national government well in advance so that funds are released in good time,” said Mr Abdulahi. Taking charge And in what appears to be the national government taking charge of the situation Mr Konchella said the government had set aside Sh104 million to address the situation in Turkana. He accused the county government of insisting that they were repairing boreholes instead of buying food to feed hungry locals. The new system of govern- ance has not been spared with locals blaming their woes on devolution. Villagers said they have not been receiving relief supplies regularly since the mandate was shifted to county governments. The residents who spoke to the Nation said they had been turned away by the provincial administration who referred them to thecounty government for relief food. But many of the residents said this year’s drought and famine are not as devastating as was the case in 2011 where public under the Kenyans for Kenya initiative contributed funds to help the victims. What they are complaining about is the manner in which those given responsibility to mitigate disaster failed to do their work. bad that we fear more deaths will be reported if the government fails to send food relief to the area,” Mr Tuwit told the Nation on the phone yesterday. Mr Tuwit said chil- dren and the elderly are the worst hit as they cannot walk long distances in search of wild fruits, which are at the same time running out. He said major water sources in the area, including Chemakany, Lewlew and Ng’inyang rivers, have already dried up following the onset of the dry spell. Residents are walking long distances in search of water. “Hundreds of live- stock, the only source of livelihood for our people, have died due to lack of water and pasture. Thousands of people are now on the verge of starvation,” Mr Tuwit told the Nation. The situation has seen livestock prices in the area go down. A cow that used to sell for Sh30,000 in November last year now costs Sh10,000. At the same time, Hundreds of livestock, the only source of livelihood for our people, have died” Daniel Tuwit, county rep for Ribkwo/ Kositei ward a non-governmental organisation is set to help more than 50,000 malnourished children and pregnant mothers hit by hunger in Turkana County. Merlin country health director Abraham Afeworki said health officers will be sent to the area today to assess the exact number of cases that need help. “With the severe drought here, the malnutrition rate is worsening,” said Dr Afeworki. REPUBLIC OF KENYA COUNTY GOVERNMENT OF NYAMIRA NOTICE OF REMOVAL OF ILLEGAL BUSINESSES ALONG COUNTY ROADS The County Government of Nyamira is committed to the safety of users of our roads and the general public as well as protection of road carriage way and services. It is in line of this commitment that the County Government is issuing a one month’s notice to all those businesses as that have encroached on to the road reserves along the county road network to remove all their premises and all those doing commercial activities to stop forthwith and remove these activities from the road reserves. These businesses include among others:a) b) c) d) Brick burning and displays along the road reserves. Illegal structure /sheds for selling groceries. Logging of poles and Ballast materials. Farming/gardening along the road reserves. e) Unauthorized bumps along the roads. This notice runs up to 3rd Take note. CHIEF OFFICER TRANSPORT, ROADS & PUBLIC WORKS March, 2014 and thereafter that removal and demolition of these businesses will be done without reference to the owners at the owner’s cost.
February 2nd 2014
February 4th 2014