For Online E-newspaper
Daily Nation : February 4th 2014
8 | National News JUSTICE | Onyancha’s co-accused seek freedom Judge faults DPP in serial killings case Public prosecutions chief ordered to respond to murder suspects’ claims BY VINCENT AGOYA @royagoya firstname.lastname@example.org to respond to a petition in a case involving a man who confessed to killing 17 women. The petition seeks to free A two men charged alongside Mr Philip Onyancha who said he killed women to quench a Satanic appetite for human blood. Mr Keriako Tobiko has not responded to a request filed to have charges against Mr Tobias Nyabuhanga Arad and Mr Douglas Obiero Makori withdrawn on grounds that they were being held on the strength of confessions Onyancha made while under investigation. The petition was filed on August 8, last year, but has judge has criticised the Director of Public Prosecutions for his failure CHRONOLOGY Man said he killed many October 6, 2010: Philip Onyancha confesses he killed at least 17 people and reveals he targeted 100. November 8, 2010:Mr Onyancha and two alleged accomplices are charged with murder. May 16, 2013: He is found fit to stand trial after two mental tests. August 9, 2013: The alleged accomplices file a petition seeking their release and termination of charges. not been responded to by the DPP, forcing a series of adjournments. “We cannot wait forever, let the DPP respond so that we can know whether the first accused goes alone or if he is to be tried alongside his co- accused,” Mr Justice Nicholas Ombija said yesterday. The judge said the suspects needed to know their fate and the public prosecutor should make a decision. “These men need their freedom as much as we do. Their continued incarceration has separated them from their families,” said the judge. Killing a boy Mr Nyabuhanga and Mr Ma- kori were accused of killing a boy after allegedly abducting him from a playground. The boy’s body was found at Ngando village in Dagoretti after Mr Onyancha led detectives to places he claimed to have killed his victims. The suspect said he killed 17 women and was on a mission to kill 100. His co-accused claimed they were being held unlawfully on the basis of the suspect’s confession. They want the DPP to prove he has a case against them. They will return to court on February 16 when the judge will be informed if the public prosecutor has responded. BUSY | Form Ones prepare for school DAILY NATION Tuesday February 4, 2014 Poor set to benefit from health plan BY NATION REPORTER The Ministry of Health has launched a five-year programme to improve accessibility of health services to poor families. Financed by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and the UK’s Department for International Development, the Africa Health Markets for Equity partnership programme targets to increase interventions among the poor to contribute to achievement of universal health coverage for all Kenyans. Interventions The programme is a $60 mil- lion (Sh5.2 billion) investment by the foundation and the UK department to increase coverage of priority health technologies and interventions among the poor and is operating in Nigeria, Kenya and Ghana. Health Cabinet Secretary James Macharia said the programme will help finance franchised health care, expansion of family planning and sexual reproductive health services. The campaign against malaria, JEFF ANGOTE | NATION Parents and students queue at a uniform supplier on Muindi Mbingu Street in Nairobi yesterday to buy various items in preparation for Form One lessons this acute respiratory infections, diarrhoea, HIV and TB and maternal health programmes will be financed. ICT, health service quality provider’s capital access would be improved, he said.
February 3rd 2014
February 5th 2014